Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I Didn't Want to......

.....but I did it anyway. And I'm glad I did.

That was basically my day. A series of activities, in which I initially did not want to engage, but in the end, I was glad I did.

Activity #1: Going to Work
I wish I was one of the, let's say, 3% of people who want to go to work every morning. I currently do not fall in that category. But I was pleasantly surprised today by a relatively light day at work, w/ two excellent conferences, and I learned a bit on rounds as well. And I caught up w/ some colleagues that I haven't seen in a while since I was sequestered over at the VA.

Activity #2: Getting my eyebrows threaded
Maybe I'm a baby, but I find this very painful. I involuntarily wind up w/ tears in my eyes every single time (I think I'm known as the "Kleenex girl" at the Thread Away I frequent, because they don't offer Kleenex to anyone but me).

As an FYI to those who have never heard of threading, it is an ancient Indian method of facial hair removal. Basically, the threader holds a piece of thread in both hands w/ a part of it in her mouth and plucks the hair out. I don't really even understand myself how this works so well, so I'm having a hard time describing it. I recommend you check out this video to see how it's done. And, if you are too lazy to watch the video, here's a still shot of threading:


It's painful, but only takes about 2 minutes. I've heard it's not as bad as waxing and it's definitely cheaper (only $15). So, anyway, I didn't want to get threaded because it hurts, but I went and I'm glad I did. My eyebrows were getting bush-ey!

Activity #3: Running
So after a great social "Beer and Burger" run last night put on by a local Chicago running store (Universal Sole), I was actually pretty jazzed to run. But I was getting worried about my pinkie toe on my right foot. It's acted up on 3 out of my last 4 runs including last night, so I've started to worry a bit. So I didn't want to aggravate it by running. But I ran one nice easy mile and no toe pain! So I'm glad I did.

Activity #4: Spinning
I haven't been spinning in at least 6 months if not longer. But now that a triathlon is in my short term future, I have to get on some kind of bike. The weather here is snowy and slushy and cold, so I really wanted to go home to my nice warm building and go to the gym downstairs but I knew a self-inflicted bike workout would be nothing compared to an actual spinning class. Thankfully, I roped my friend Sara into coming with and we spun (not sure if you are supposed to use that word in that context, whatever). And I worked my butt off! I'll bet I'm going to be sore tomorrow. So I didn't want to....but I'm glad I did!



As a bonus, they were giving out free Power Bar Energy Gel Blasts at the gym and they sure were tasty! I liked the raspberry the best. For the runners out there who like Gu Chomps, this product is worth trying. Tastes like a fruit snack. 6 of them= 130 calories which makes them less caloric than Gu Chomps- this may be good or bad depending on your race nutritional strategy.


Well, that's all from me tonight! Sleep well!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an overall good day!

    I get my eyebrows threaded too and it's much less painful than waxing IMO. Not to mention I think they get a cleaner line and more even shape. (I've had my brows screwed up before from waxing and it took a while for that butchering to grow in, so I'm pretty of leary of waxing now truthfully)

    I received a sample of the energy gels and really like them (better than shot bloks, beans, chomps) but I can't find them in stores anywhere!

    ReplyDelete