Sunday, February 13, 2011

Weekly Work-out Wrap-up

In three days, we went from beautiful snowy weather to a total slush fest. The road and path conditions out there were na-sty for my long run today. The sunny and 50 degree weather was great. The stopping every quarter mile or so to jump over muddy piles of muck and slushly grossness like this:





was not so great. But I got my 13(.1) miles in nonetheless, even if there was a lot of stopping and starting. The lakefront path south of downtown is in great shape. The path north of downtown (at least to Oak Street), is pretty much impassable. The snow is not packed down enough to run on- just water, mud and slush. So I ended up doing my last 8 miles on sidewalks. I basically just went whichever direction had a green light to minimize stops. This worked for a while, but I really give props to folks who regularly run on sidewalks! It really broke my rhythm to dodge people and constantly holller "on your left" and stop at lights!

Then, I got stuck in a field of muck up by the Lincoln Park Zoo (Btw, did you know you are allowed to run in the zoo? Very odd and very, very sad to see the camels hanging out in the 10ft x 10ft part of their cage that didn't have snow. I don't think zoos are humane.) Anywho, back to the muck. I kept thinking I saw a clearing (like a mirage but of dryness instead of wetness), but just ended up being completely surrounded by puddles and mud. I sure am glad those shoes are due to be retired because they are totally soaked!

In general, this was a much better week than last, running-wise. I hit all my distance and pace goals. So far (only 2 weeks in) the FIRST plan is working for me. I'm having a bit more trouble getting cross-training in, but I did at least get the 2 sessions required by the FIRST plan.

Swimming is a problem. I was starting to get into it last October until one day I saw this in the elevator:


This proved to be more disastrous than expected, because I STILL haven't been back to the pool even though it reopened 2 months ago!! Starting new things is HARD!! I think if I actually had a triathlon on my calendar I would be sufficiently scared of drowning to get my behind in gear and in the pool. I guess I should choose one this week and stick it on the 'ol calender then, eh?

Got a little verbose today. I'll stop now:)

By the numbers:


Miles run (completed/planned): 28/25 (yee-haw! back on track!)
Days of Week I Ran: 7/7
Long run:
1/1
Speed work sessions: 2/2 Speed work completed at goal time: 2/2
Hill Work: 0/0 (better fit some hills in next week)
Biking sessions: 1/2
Swimming sessions: 0/2 (ug)
Weights
: 0/2 (double ug)
XC-Skiing: 1!
Days I Ate Healthfully and Sparingly: 2/7


Next week, I'm going to focus on swimming, weights and finding a goal triathlon:

Monday (dinner plans): weights
Tuesday (Long Call): 6 miles with 4 @ 8:45, hills on w/u and c/d
Wednesday: swim, 5 x 1000m @ 7:50 pace w/ 400m RIs
Thursday: weights, bike hill intervals
Friday (Day Off): 17 miles @ 9:50 pace
Saturday (Long Call): swim
Sunday: 10 miles bike

Happy V-Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment