Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Absolutely Glorious Imperfect Run!

Today I had a great run. It's been a few weeks since my last enjoyable run. I was beginning to worry that runs >3 miles were just not going to happen anymore during this pregnancy, at least not comfortably. But today was marvelous! Yes, I required two pregnancy related pit stops (thank you Navy Pier!). Yes it was gloomy outside. Yes, I may have been caught in an absolute downpour for the last 10 minutes of my run where I gained 10 lbs of water weight on my clothes and shoes (this in addition to my 10+ lbs of pregnancy weight- I owe my joints a big 'thank you' for their ability to handle all this!).

But I ran 5.5 miles absolutely comfortably. Nearly effortlessly! I enjoyed 50 minutes of wonderful 60 degree weather in Chicago with a nice cool breeze coming off the lake. My breathing was comfortable, my pace was reasonable and even respectable. I continue to be so grateful to still be able to run without issue. I'm proud of myself for staying in good enough shape pre-pregnancy that I'm virtually unlimited (within reason) during pregnancy. I urge all women who are even contemplating getting pregnant in the next few years to get active NOW so you have a strong base to build on if you do get pregnant one day. I could have, maybe even should have, run farther today, but I'm satisfied with what I did accomplish. And with very minimal pregnancy niggles! And after a pretty tough trainer work-out yesterday!

Happy Val.

No comments:

Post a Comment