Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Emotional Eating

We all do it. Stop by the vending machine for some M&M's. Buy that latte at Starbucks. Drink way too much wine on a random Monday night. 'Fess up. You know you've done it.


The key is to not emotionally eat too often and to acknowledge it when you do it. We emotionally eat for a reason- it makes us feel better! I can think of many times where I had a terrible, rotten, no-good day and I get home and my husband says "Hey, let's order a pizza!" and my mood is instantly improved. I....LOVE....PIZZA. It's not always a bad thing.


Case in point- today. As I've referenced in past posts I'm in a bit of a slump. I think I'm starting to crawl my way out of it but I still have a constant pit of anger in my stomach almost all day everyday. So today, with the prospect of a painful morning of clinic, with a painful, boring 12 hour work day the next day and then at least 2 more years of painful work ahead of me (all I want is consistent 2 day weekends, people, is that so much to ask???)...well, let's just say I was kinda hoping a meteor would strike so I wouldn't have to go through with my day. (Kidding....partially.)


So, what did I do? Despite the fact that I ate a healthy breakfast at home, I decided to stop by Panera and get a whole wheat bagel with low fat veggie cream cheese and a medium hazelnut coffee. Was I hungry? Not really. Was I tired and in desperate need of coffee? Yes. I was honest with myself and said "Self, you need something to get you through this morning. You are emotionally eating, so be comfortable with that and forgive yourself for it."


I nurtured that delicious bagel and coffee one bite at a time from 8:30 am to 11:00 am. It was delicious. I don't regret it. I feel better able to take on the rest of the day:)

Are you honest with yourself when you emotionally eat?

3 comments:

  1. Oh I am the QUEEN of emotional eating. I finally identified that issue and seem to be doing much better with that now. But food is comfort for me for sure, and I have to watch it. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happened to me yesterday and as my coworker and I stood at the cookie table at the end of our 14 hour day I said to her, "I'm really eating this crap b/c I'm tired not so much b/c I want these cookies" Having a day that's busy where I don't have a regular opportunity to eat something healthy + being tired will send me down that road, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey at least you chose a healthy option for emotional eating. And, yeah, I think you're entitled to it! :)

    ReplyDelete