Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sometimes a Run's Just Not Meant to Be....Time to Hit Reset

The past few weeks have been tough. I've been soooo tired. Work has been more painful than usual. It seems like it is dark ALL THE TIME and I don't have any upcoming breaks or vacations to look forward to. I know I'm not the only one in a winter slump, but that doesn't make it any easier!


I basically feel like my brain

is under a blanket.
I can't think straight, I keep making silly mistakes. My motivation is absolutely nil.


And this has not gone unnoticed by my husband, Adam. He went from being his usual supportive self to super-supportive. When I came home from my work-out last night, I found a couple gifts around the house:



First I noticed this:





Then, while I was getting some post work-out water and wine, I found this:






Adam knew today was my day off and that I had a 20 miler planned so he bought me post-run entertainment in the form of US Magazine and a David Sedaris book. He said he felt very silly buying the US Magazine:) He then bought some cupcakes for post run re-fueling. He chose Red Velvet, Black & White, and Peanut Butter Banana. He got the last Red Velvet in the store making the lady in line behind him a very sad sack. But hey- he knew his wife needed it!


Then, this morning, I found this:



What a great guy! All these incentives should have provided extra motivation to get my run done. I haven't done a long run since 2/18 and was looking forward to it (but also dreading it a bit at the same time).

However, it wasn't meant to be. I slept in, did some reading, watched some TV (Gossip Girl, if you must know), took a nap, had lunch then headed outside around 1pm. Got my hydration pack ready, got dressed, cued up the ipod and Garmin, and headed out. Since it was 30 and sunny, I thought I'd be fine w/ my lululemon tights, t shirt w/ technical sweatshirt on top, hat, gloves. As soon as I stepped outside I was worried that it was going to be too cold. I ran north a bit- it was FREEZING- I ran south a bit- still cold. I knew 20 miles in my current outfit would be too cold. I also felt sooo tired. My desire to rest on the couch outweighed the guilt and disappointment I knew I'd feel if I bailed on the run. I ran 1.23 miles instead of 20.

I'm not sure what's going on- probably just a little seasonal affective disorder- but I have to hit reset. Reset on my diet (though it hasn't been horrible, just not enough veggies), reset on exercise, reset on my attitude towards getting through a daily grind I don't enjoy or in any way find rewarding. (I'm not sure if the latter is possible.)

So today, I will rest. I will continue sitting on the couch, I will continue watching Gossip Girl and Brothers & Sisters. I will read my US Magazine. And I'll eat my M&M's even though I didn't do my run. (I'll probably eat a cupcake as well.) I guess we all need a full rest day once and a while.

Anyone have a good strategy for overcoming the winter blahs?

2 comments:

  1. Your hubs is the sweetest thing ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome!! What a sweet guy. I have the blahs too. When I figure out how to overcome them I will let you know!

    ReplyDelete