Sunday, July 4, 2010

17 mile run stream-of-consciousness...


Ever wonder what folks think about when they are running 17 miles (or more)? Here are some of my thoughts Sunday morning during my run up to Rogers Park and back. Read at your own risk;)

..................I really should take up swimming, there is absolutely no reason to run on a day where it is already 80 degrees at 6:15 in the morning.......I'm really going to do 17 today, huh?........hope I get back in time to get to Adam's parents house for lunch.....................this isn't going so bad.......this stretch is going to be terribly hot on the return trip- no shade anywhere!...........................are you serious? people are setting up for their 4th of July bbqs at 6:30am??!!??.............I can't believe MICU [medical intensive care unit, the hardest month of residency] starts in 3 weeks......what was I worried about when I was a MICU intern, what are the most important things for me to teach them?.....is the MICU harder than running a marathon?.......finally! a shady section......oh my, I hope my arms don't jiggle like that lady's when I get older...even worse, I hope they don't jiggle now! [now I awkwardly try to look at the back of my arms as I run].....any pain? nope, no pain. knees doing well.......................................... last time I ran by this part of the trail I was in much worse shape than today [mile 9 of the Lakefront 10 miler].......I can't believe Adam and I have been married for almost 7 years. I can truly say that our relationship gets better and better with time.........ok, it looks like I'll get the full 17 in time-wise, phew.........I know I'm a faster runner now because the only women who pass me are in absolutely incredible shape.....for that matter, the only men who pass me are in pretty good shape. and now I pass guys!........it's funny, I never would have thought I'd end up being a distance runner- I really hated cross country in high school!........ho-hum, ho-hum....... .................................................................................................................. I'm almost to the turn around but I'm only at 7.5 miles, what to do?.......I guess I'll run up to Loyola to make it 8.5 to get in the full 17...........I'm so glad we don't live in Rogers Park anymore......still feeling good, strangely I'm not hungry, usually I have some goo chomps by this point.................oh, Roger's Park, all these eccentric old people with their goofy dogs.......sure don't miss living here..........ah-hah! 8.5 miles! the turnaround!.......maybe I'll have some goo chomps prophylacticly so I don't get tired.........this is the best part of the run, the part where I know I will finish, I will complete the run I set out to do because how else will I get home?...............ok, now this is starting to suck........only 5 to go.......just don't stop running, get to the next water fountain without stopping......ok, 4 to go..............................................
.................................................................................................[when I start suffering, I stop thinking]........................................................................
.......well, I'm glad I'm going to get this 17 miler in. Need to do at least one 20 miler before the MICU starts..................I hope this will partially offset some of the hotdogs I'm going to eat today..............oh my gosh, it is so hot.............I don't think I'm in good enough shape to take off my shirt and go with just the sports bra...............but it's so hot!.......only 3 to go, but they are all in the sun........forget about being in shape, I'm hot, and I'm running 17 miles, if I want to take my shirt off I will.....................................................so much cooler now!....................................................................
..................................................................................................................................
...........am I ever going to get there?......ok, maybe I'll need to run-walk................run to one song, walk to one song, you can do this................................................it's....so.....hot........................
..........hot.............tired...............hot..............out of breath.........hot..........am I seriously still running?......home, home, I want home......1.5 left.........1 left.......0.5 left......phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment