Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Summer is My Off-Season: Changing Goals

While many marathon runners are gearing up for their last long runs before tapering for their Fall marathons, I'm resting after my "long" run of eight miles last weekend. 8 miles? Long run? I know, I know, that's not a long run for a marathoner. But (as evidenced by my lack of posts) I have not been doing a whole lot of running lately. My new job has kept me plenty busy and the few times I got out to run, it was too hot for me to even think about going long. Props to the Chicagoans who get their long runs in every week no matter how high the mercury rises. I was one of those runners once. But no more. I have now completely, whole-heartedly become a cold-weather runner, a Spring Marathon kind of gal.

After coming off of 3 great races in early 2011- Maui, Rockford, and Madison- I was eager to work on a sub-4 hour marathon this fall. I optimistically signed up for the Fox Valley Marathon in September and- of course, how could I not- Chicago in October. Since my longest run since July 4th has been a measly 8 miles, the September marathon is out of the question. I'm still going to try to pull it together for Chicago on 10/9 with a super abbreviated training plan (long runs of 8, 10, 15, 17, 20, then taper) but I'm not going to beat myself up if that doesn't happen either. But as soon as the cool weather rolls around, you better believe I'll be out there all bundled up, prepping for my sub-4 come Spring 2012:)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment. Don't push the training too hard. Stay healthy and visit another restaurant soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing something similar to gear upmfor twin cities - I too have definitely become a cold weather runner.

    ReplyDelete